Vlerick will seek to ensure that any identifiable personal information it collects during the registration and purchasing processes will be adequate, relevant and not excessive for purposes of operating its websites or any of its services and it will be kept accurate and up-to-date based on the provided information.
The site is operated on behalf of Vlerick Business School by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd, with registered office at Southern Gate, Chichester, West Sussex PO19 8SQ (England). Wiley is an organisation that partners with Vlerick Business School to provide services and technology to offer programmes in an online format.
How We Collect Information
Vlerick collects information from you in two ways: directly from your input and automatically through Vlerick’s website technologies.
Information You Provide
The types of personal information that Vlerick collects directly from you may include:
- Contact details, such as your name, email address, postal address and telephone number;
- IP addresses;
- Educational and professional interests and background information;
- Usernames and passwords;
- Payment information, such as a credit or debit card number;
- Comments, feedback, posts and other content you submit to a Vlerick service; and
- Communication preferences.
In order to access certain content and to make use of additional functionality and features of Vlerick’s websites and services, we may ask you to register for an account by completing and submitting a registration form, which may request additional information.
If you choose to register and sign in by using a third party account (such as your Facebook account), the authentication of your login is handled by the third party. Vlerick will collect your name, email address and any other information about your third party account that you agree to share with us at the time you give permission for your Vlerick account to be linked to your third party account. If you choose not to provide certain information, it may not be possible to continue with your transaction without filling in the required data.
Information We Receive From Other Sources
Vlerick may hold information about you if you use any of the other websites we operate or the other services we provide. We also work closely with third parties (including, for example, business partners, sub-contractors in technical, payment and delivery services, advertising networks, analytics providers, search information providers, credit reference agencies) and may receive information from them about you.
Use of Your Information
Vlerick may use your personal information in the following ways:
- To carry out our obligations arising from any contracts entered into between you and us and to provide you with information about products and services that you request from us;
- To send you periodic catalogues from Vlerick, if you have consented to receive them;
- To provide you with information about other products, events and services we offer that are similar to those you have already purchased or inquired about or other communications containing information about new products and services or upcoming events of ours, our affiliates and non-affiliated third parties such as societies and sponsors, if you have consented to receive this information;
- For internal business and research purposes and to help enhance, evaluate and develop our websites, products and services and to develop new products and services;
- To notify you about changes or updates to our websites;
- To notify you about changes or updates to our products and services if you have consented to receive this information;
- To respond to your requests, inquiries, comments or concerns;
- To administer our services and for internal operations, including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, statistical and survey purposes;
- To allow you to participate in interactive features of our service, when you choose to do so; and
- As part of our efforts to keep our site safe and secure;
- For any other purpose that we may notify you of from time to time, providing that we have sought your consent.
Disclosure of Your Information
Vlerick will not disclose your personal information to any third party except as follows:
- Where necessary in connection with services provided by intermediaries, who are required to comply with this policy. These service providers provide us with a wide range of office, administrative, information technology, production and business management services;
- If you voluntarily provide information in response to an advertisement, with the third party serving the advertisement;
- In order to comply with the law or requests by law enforcement agencies, to enforce our Terms and Conditions or to protect the rights, property or safety of our services, users or others;
- In the event that all or substantially all of the business or assets of Vlerick relating to this service are sold or otherwise assigned to another entity, personally identifiable information may be transferred to such entity; and
- Where necessary in connection with providing publishing services on behalf of third parties, such as institutions and societies, provided that we have your consent.
Vlerick may disclose navigational and transactional information in the form of anonymous, aggregate usage statistics (including “page views” on this website and the products therein) and demographics to carefully chosen third parties, but only in forms that do not reveal your identity or personal information.
Cross Border Transfers
Vlerick may transfer your personal information outside of your country of residence for the following reasons:
- In order to process your transactions. This may occur on servers in countries other than the country where you live. Wiley has servers and major office locations in several countries, in particular in the United States, the United Kingdom, Germany, Singapore, Brazil, India and Australia and has service providers located in India and the Philippines amongst other countries. Such processing may include, among other things, the fulfillment of your order, the processing of your payment details and the provision of support services.
- In order to satisfy global reporting requirements. Vlerick may be required to provide your personal information to Vlerick affiliates in other countries.
Safe Harbor: Vlerick complies with the US-EU Safe Harbor Framework and US-Swiss Safe Harbor Framework as set forth by the US Department of Commerce regarding the collection, use, and retention of personal information from European Union member countries and Switzerland. Vlerick has certified that it adheres to the Safe Harbor Privacy Principles of notice, choice, onward transfer, security, data integrity, access, and enforcement. To learn more about the Safe Harbor program, and to view our certification page, please visit here.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to us; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use all commercially reasonable efforts to prevent unauthorized access to such information.
Disclosure in Chat Rooms or Forums
You should be aware that identifiable personal information–such as your name or e-mail address–that you voluntarily disclose and that is accessible to other users (e.g. on bulletin boards or in chat areas) could be collected and disclosed by others. Vlerick cannot take any responsibility for such collection and disclosure.
You have the right to ask us not to process your personal data for marketing purposes, free of charge. We will inform you (before collecting your data) and shall seek your consent to use your data for such marketing purposes or to disclose your information to any third party for such marketing purposes. You can exercise your right to prevent such processing by checking certain boxes on the consent forms we use when collecting your personal data. You also have the right to obtain access to the processed data and to rectify or correct the data should they be incomplete or incorrect. If at any point you wish to access or correct your personal information, please send an email to email@example.com. Note that you may still receive transactional communications from Vlerick.
Some territories have national laws requiring a local Data Protection Officer (for example Singapore and Germany). Please click here for the relevant contact details.
In relation to personal Data processed within the US under the Safe Harbor framework, Vlerick has further committed to refer unresolved privacy complaints under the US-EU and US-Swiss Safe Harbor Principles to an independent dispute resolution mechanism, the ICDR/AAA. If you do not receive timely acknowledgement of your complaint, or if your complaint is not satisfactorily addressed by Vlerick, please use the following processes.
The dispute may be filed on-line utlizing the AAA WebFile® here. The filing party (“claimant”) will submit via AAA WebFile® a Demand for Arbitration and copies of any supporting documents the claimant wishes to enter into evidence. There are no filing fees for an EU or Swiss Claimant. The filing party may also file a case by mail or fax, please complete the appropriate form (s) and forward to AAA/ICDR, Case Filing Services, International Centre for Dispute Resolution, A Division of the American Arbitration Association, Case Filing SErvices, 1101 Laurel Oak Road, Suite 100, Voorhees, NJ 08043, Phone: (856) 435-6401, Toll free number in the US (877) 495-4185, Fax number (877) 304-8457, Fax number outside the US: (212) 484-4178, Email box: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Any other comments, complaints or questions concerning this policy or complaints about our use of your personal information should be addressed by directing your comments to the Data Protection Officers through our Data Protection Contact Us page here or by entering your comments by email.